RE: a siberian by any other name..zzzzzz

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] a siberian by any other name..zzzzzz
  • From: "Harold Peters" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 20:44:24 -0700

Re "Mart" irises, any white Siberian sold in such outlets is most likely going to be labeled Snow Queen. If the caretaker of a Mart iris really wants a name for it, the best way is to give it a garden name like "Bill's White Siberian" and just enjoy it for what it provides in the garden. Let the commercial gardeners fuss about the correct names of their stock.
One way to distinguish between an advance gardener and an obsessive gardener is that the obsessive garden not only knows the Latin names for their plants but also uses the Latin names in their conversations with the plants.
Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762