Re: WAR SAILS in the morning

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] WAR SAILS in the morning
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:36:30 EDT

Well, Texan, the little I know with some uncertainty follows:

All the talk about cameras has me asking what settings to look for.  I can't
find one on my Olympus 360 Zoom that allows me to set for higher or lower
pixels.

Not all cameras have such an option. Some have such an option but do not designate it as a pixel choice. They may call it "email" or something else.

There seem to be only three settings, a flower (closeup), a tree
(distance, I presume) and neither.

The flower icon has long been used in photography to designate macro mode.
The tree icon has been used as landscape mode and no icon may mean one of two things. It may average the two modes, which is most probable or it may allow the camera to select automatically the best mode (less probable).

The essential difference in macro mode and landscape mode is the distance at which the camera lens and hence the picture will remain in best focus. Macro allows you to be perhaps as close as 6 inches from the subject to maybe as much as 20 inches away. These distances are ballparked and vary from camera to camera. Landscape mode essentially focuses the camera lens at infinity. It is likely the reason you cannot tell much difference is that most of your pics are being taken at distances near the max for macro mode and the other modes average from that distance out. Take a close up of beards from about 10 inches in each mode and compare them. Your camera book usually gives the exact distance tolerances for each setting.

It is a nicer color than the muddy red indicated, but is
still more accurate than the one taken in bright sunlight.

White Balance is another feature available on some cameras that can exert some effect on accurate color depiction and the amount of reflected highlights the camera sees.

At least some of the difficulty we encounter is caused by the texture and sheen exhibited by the flower petals. The angle of incidence from the light source affects the wave lengths that are absorbed by the surface and the wave lengths that are reflected. When this is coupled with mans inability to construct light sensors as perfect as the human eye we get the photo variance you depict. Too, the mechanical apparatus in the camera are less perfect than the lens in our eye and the brain in the camera is less capable than the one in our head when it comes to averaging the reflected light waves. We are indeed a wonderful apparatus constructed by a master engineer. Until humans reach this level of engineering expertise we will have to make do with various techniques (filters, shades, time choices, software, etc.) to make colors close. Of the choices available to us, software and time choice have worked best here with software being the more practical of the two.

Regardless, tis a beautiful photo devoid of all thoughts of war.

Smiles,
Bill Burleson 7a/b

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!