Re: Re: file format - jpg

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: file format - jpg
  • From: John Jones jijones@usjoneses.com
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 13:29:37 -0700

Linda Mann wrote:

> Thanks John - how odd - when I try to view photo files from Yahoo, my
> computer downloads it as a separate file on my computer.  I think it
> asks me what I want to call the file, so I had assumed it was being
> stored permanently.  It is not automatically opened in my browser.  Same
> with .bmp files at Mallorn.

It may be that is is stored. Try one, then do a Find (from your Start
menu) and see if it is there.

> When I view jpg files at Mallorn, they are opened in my browser as if
> part of the webpage I am viewing.
>
> The latter seems faster than the former, but maybe isn't.
>
> At least neither of these methods locks up my email.
>
> I use Netscape, if that makes a difference

jpgs will load faster because they are compressed.

I think you need to tell Netscape how to handle the bmps. Netscape
(depending on the version) uses "Helpers" to display some files. You
will have to go to Preferences (or the PC equivalent) and find the .bmp
file type  and tell Netscape what to do with it. As I remember it can be
told to handle it "internally" but I am not sure. I just don't know
enough about the PC version to be more specific.

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society