Re: AB: DESERT FINERY (Rich '90)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] AB: DESERT FINERY (Rich '90)
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 21:44:21 -0500

Bill,

It looks the same (to me, anyway) of the one I grew and posted in April and
of the one Betsy Higgins posted in April.  It also seems to match the
description very well.  I would say it's correct or we are all likely
growing the same imposter.  That is always possible.  Once something gets
misidentified and then passed along under the wrong name among enough
people, it almost becomes that whether it is the correctly registered one or
not.

The best thing is to post a photo and hope that if it is not correct,
someone points it out.  That at least keeps us from continuing to grow
something under an incorrect name.  I wonder if ABs are any worse than any
other kind of iris.  I've been told twice now at two different times by
different, active and knowledgeable AIS members that what is sold now as
BEVERLY SILLS is in fact a sibling to the one introduced.  I have never have
been clear on whether they thought it was the imposter that won the Dykes
medal, or if the substitution came later.  The interesting thing about the
story was how far apart it came in the telling.  I haven't a clue whether
it's just a widely circulated tale or if there is truth to it.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links