Re: PCIs Gravitas, Extra Credit and Spreadsheet

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] PCIs Gravitas, Extra Credit and Spreadsheet
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 13:07:29 -0700 (PDT)

Here in Missouri, not as moist as NC PCNs have been grown successfully in deep shade that gets very dry in summer. Successful transplantation seems to be a bigger part of the problem than culture. Seedlinges do rather well. Some variaties have problems with our coldest winters but NC should have it made in the shade so to speak.

jjnettles <jjnettles@comporium.net> wrote:

  For those in warm weather climates there is hope of growing PCI's. Avery has 4 growing in pots under our orange tree. He got them last year at this time so he has had them a full year and yes they have bloomed.
  So people could try 1 or 2 but they need to be in the shade in the warm climates.
Thank You for answering a question I was about to post. I love in the warm, humid state of S.C.My yard however does have several areas heavy in shade in the summer (large trees about it) I have built two large raised beds and was thinking of putting some PCI's there around the border as a trial The bed is in full sun until April when the leaves come  out. Our big problem in the summer is little rain. Do  PCI's need to be watered  a lot ? I have Hosta, TB-Iris (now blooming in the shade), Lilium, and Caladium there.

The other place I was considering was a raised bed  in my front yard in front of the picture window in my dinning room. It is completely sunny there in early spring, later on sunny in the morning, but as the afternoon come along, goes completely shady. I can grow Roses there beautifully.

Which of these two places would you suggest ??

That Funny Old Coot named, John

Yahoo! Groups Links