Re: TB Sport: Millennium Falcon Sport

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] TB Sport: Millennium Falcon Sport
  • From: Kitty <kitty@ojai.net>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:36:28 -0700

Very interesting. Keep us updated.
On May 10, 2004, at 3:06 PM, Margie Valenzuela wrote:

Attached are two photos.  One is a photo (of photos comprised) of (which I believe is) Millennium Falcon"sport".  The other is a close-up of one of the "sport" blooms. This little surprise occurred in my garden this year.
Only one increase (stalk) was affected out of the whole clump. EVERYbloom on this particular stalk, reflected this new lighter color/pattern variation ...... or sport (if this is what's it's properly called). The style arms remained the same color, as did the beard, height, form, substance, budcount, and growth habits.
The sport is noticeably much lighter, and exhibits a broken plicata pattern, where broken color markings of white exist in different locations on each bloom). I tagged it and will separate it out (now that it has finished blooming) from the others to see if it'sincreases will indeed remain as such next year.
If you look at the picture to the right, (last year's photo of the plant) - you will notice that one of the flower's fall petals exhibited half of it as the "normal" Millennium Falcon pattern,  whereas the other half has this lighter broken plicata pattern.
I certainly don't understand all the genetic aspects of what must have taken place, but apparently - - this specific genetic make-up on that particular portion of the falls was carried over into one the increases, and thereby reflecting it in the entire bloom through out the stalk.
If anyone has more information concerning "sports" I hope they would share that info.  I do know thatBeverly in White is a sport ofBeverly Sills, and that other iris sports exists out there too.
Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links

• Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to theYahoo! Terms of Service.

<MF sport.jpg><MF- sport.jpg>
Kitty Johnston
Ojai, CA 93023