TB:Captured Beauty

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB:Captured Beauty
  • From: "Cheryl Leigh Chamberlin" <clc@cherylleigh.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:02:56 -0400

My bloom season always seems so late. Two of my neighbors' irises bloom
before mine, and my sister's do, too. But hers are just regular old yellow
and purple ones. There's a wild daylily at the corner of the street that
turns into my cul-de-sac and that always blooms a couple of weeks before the
ones in my garden start to pop up.

But it's right on schedule with itself; this iris started things off last
year on 12 May.

After I raked the mulch off my garden in mid-March and saw how pathetic most
of my fans looked, and knowing that I had dug, divided, ordered new and
planted late (for me), I expected things to be pretty dismal. Well I guess
things grew pretty quickly because I have stalks or stalks-to-be on just
about everything in both beds, including everything in my late order except
poor Diabolique. Dug up, de-rotted, dried out and replated Diabolique so
maybe next year.

I don't know the year of intro or the hybridizer of this one. It was one of
my original 1996 rz. It disappeared for a couple of years and then surprised
me. Doesn't increase all that fast but has bloomed every year since I think
2000. This clump has six stalks and this is probably the best photo of this
flower I've ever taken. I don't remember seeing that slight pinkish or
purplish tinge on the standards before but it's kind of cool, considering
this is about my least favorite iris in the garden. I keep threatening to
rip this and Helen Collingwood right out of the ground, but I haven't, yet.

Cheryl Leigh in hot and humid zone 6