Re: Re:SPAM message, I did not send!

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re:SPAM message, I did not send!
  • From: Debby <d.j.nelson@sasktel.net>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 14:51:43 -0500

It doesn't need your computer to be infected at all. A worm may have collected your email address off of an aquaintances list of stored emails. Or if you have ever forwarded a joke to some friends, and they forwarded it to some friends etc., then somewhere along the line a spammer may have collected all the email addresses off that message.
Heck! I've even rec'd spammed messages from myself - lol. (Of course I didn't trust myself and deleted it without reading it!)
The safest course of action is to NEVER open ANY file from anyone - even someone you know and trust - unless they actually attach a personal SIGNED message to you telling you what they have sent you. Otherwise don't touch it.
The same goes for links to unknown websites.  You get an email that just says "check this out" or similar - DON'T. Many of these websites have ulterior motives - maybe collecting emails, maybe putting spyware on your computer. It's not worth it.