Re: SPU: Unkown Oldie

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SPU: Unkown Oldie
  • From: "Robert Dickow" <dickow@uidaho.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 04:00:01 -0700

On first glance, this could be I. orientalis, but it might not be just as
easily. One thing about I. orientalis that is a pretty good indicator is
that the tips of the falls invariably reflex under, giving the flower a bit
of a look of being contorted slightly. I have a gazillion I. orientalis, and
the one on the spuria.org website is a pretty good representation of it:

Certainly the age of the clone you have pictured would also point toward it
being I. orientalis.

Other characteristics of I. orientalis is that it grows fairly tall,
especially in the variant known as Sheffield Giant, which was reportedly a
wild collected plant of I. orientalis, and may be a polyploid clone by the
look of it. My standard I. orientalis is among the tallest spurias I grow,
which is about 30 different varieties in my garden.

Bob Dickow, Moscow, ID, zone 5.
(I'd rather be growing orchids: