Re: mis-named iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] mis-named iris
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 19:33:54 EDT

In a message dated 5/4/2005 5:19:37 P.M. Central Standard Time, cholte@wi.rr.com writes:
better at identification of the Noids we receive?
Char, I decided years ago that I would not try (usually) to identify a TB NOID. There are several thousand TBs introduced each year.

Nurseries like Breck & WallWorld buy from iris wholesalers.  Often they are breeders or buy from breeders.  Some people sell surplus seedlings to landscapers.  These iris could never be PROPERLY identified as they were never introduced.  (I've received 2 enquiries about selling wholesale just this year)

Last season was an exception because I thought the one iris was unique enough that it could be identified from the BIG Dig.

For every name that has been suggested for the NOIDS we see on here, there are at least half a dozen to two dozen other possibilities.  If I like the looks of one, I hunt up something that looks similar and buy it.  You can check the throat of the beard and the vein patterns sometimes to identify.

Otherwise I simply grow it and enjoy it.

I'm afraid we simply add to the miss-named problem!

Yahoo! Groups Links