Re: umbrata pattern

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: umbrata pattern
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 00:04:40 -0000

Connie,

> Why would you throw it away?

Let's see if I can answer this.  It isn't terrible.  I thought the
best feature was the wide rim color the same as the standard color.
It was a large bloom with horizontal falls.  For me, horizontal falls
are a liability on TBs.  They work well on SDB, IBs, but it's just not
a very appealing form to me.  The substance was good enough, but I
found the color dull and somewhat lifeless.  It had two branches.  One
was on the lower third, the second about the middle.  Those branches
were very long, looking more like stalks coming from another stalk.  I
found the effect awkward.  It got tall and leaned but didn't lay over
in the wind.  It's maiden bloom, so some of that might improve next
year.  I haven't found the color and appearance of the bloom to change
from maiden bloom, but the bloom time, branching and substance have
and nearly always for the better.  In comparison to other TB seedlings
here I have others much more to my liking.  TBs tend to be used with
AB pollen and for that this one doesn't seem to work well.  I can't
keep them all, obviously.  I keep too many as it is.  This is one with
an unknown parent and not enough good qualities, or in my opinion,
enough parent potential for it to get high enough to keep around.  I
need the space for things I think might be more usable.  Sometimes it
seems I don't toss anything.  In fact I easily have tossed more than
half of what I've grown from seed.  That is still probably not enough
but as I get more pressed for planting space, the culling will
probably get harsher yet.  After all, I really haven't grown all that
many seedlings yet.  It's still a new thing.

>It is a beautiful iris.  I'd pay shipping.

I got a request offlist almost immediately, so if I were to decide to
let it go into the big wide world, they'd get first choice.  Even so,
I think I'd rather send out one of the seedlings that have done well
for a season or two and that I like better.  With all the good,
introduced things on the market, I generally tend to not let seedlings
leave the property except in specific and special circumstances.  I
share those already introduced by others that do well quite freely, on
a local level. Sort of my contribution to furthering the knowledge
about irises.  It's amazing how many people are only familiar with the
old common purple, white and yellow irises that grow abundantly.  I
love and appreciate those, but am thankful there is so much more
available.  Thanks for the comment.  I'll be sure to pass it along to
the bees :).

Donald