Re: TB Newbie!

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB Newbie!
  • From: Jan Lauritzen janicelauritzen@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 17:33:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jphnette,
 I can't verify Private Dancer for you from experience but the R&I describes it as:
Ruffled smooth peach pink; coral red beard.  There is no mention of the lace yours appears to have.  Also, the light area in the center of the falls would mean not "smooth pink".  There is also the yellow tone in the haft area.  There are so many others it could be.
As you are a "newbie" do you have copies of the R&Is yet?  These Iris Check List books are really required reading.  AIS sells the decade books.  I have the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s, and 50s books.  I have not purchased the earlier ones as the internet is now available to check out the few I acquire.  Another option is to join the Iris Registration database website.  You can get info on all of these from the AIS website.
Remember - Iris are addicting!

Vicki Gatling <vgatling@cnbcom.net> wrote:
Hello Fellow Iris Lovers,
    My name is Johnette and I live near Dallas, Texas. What "zone" does that make me, 7, 8??   I'm a newcomer to the Iris world and loving every minute of it!  Except for one little problem that seems to be a similar problem others are having with misnamed/mislabeled plants.  Of the 180 varieties I planted last fall, (my first Iris garden!!) seems at least 100 of them aren't what the descriptions say!!  I'm hoping for help identifying these, as you all are so knowledgeable!!   I was so careful to label each root stock as it was dug and maintain my records, I don't know what went wrong!!  Seems the Iris Fairies played a mean trick on me!!   Any suggestions of names be will be appreciated, at least that will give me a place to start looking.
    I think the following picture is PRIVATE DANCER and it might be right.  Can anyone verify it for me?? Is this PD, for REAL??!!!  Thanks in advance for the info and help!!  Johnette Woods

Yahoo! Mail

Yahoo! Groups Links