RE: TB Newbie

  • Subject: [PHOTO] RE: [iris-photos] TB Newbie
  • From: "Harold Peters" harold@directcon.net
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 20:37:11 -0700

I have a small one-person commercial nursery. Last weekend I was with
customers and a man called from Texas and asked if I would help him identify
some old irises across the street from his property and if any were
valuable. I told him no and No. He had already talked to his local nursery
people and they had already told him it was impossible. Since I had
customers in the garden, I did not have time to give him a thorough answer.

I agree with you about the futility of spending even a little effort to
identify a $3 iris. When I  was a collector, even the misided were pretty.
When I started commercial operations, misided were not pretty. Early on I
had some difficulty throwing away my misided stock. Now I can throw away
misids casually. However what I normally do is replace the name stake with
one that says "For Sale Immediately". When someone asks about the clump, I
quote a cheap price that is difficult for the customer to refuse. I get the
shovel and dig the clump as soon as the customer says yes. I have a pleased
customer and I made a sale so I am happy too.

I have attached a garden view. We need that perspective also. Photo taken
4/27/2005 just after peak bloom.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road