Re: RE:CULT: Batik? Yep!!! [kb zone 5b]

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE:CULT: Batik? Yep!!! [kb zone 5b]
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:45:08 -0400

KB, I can see why you had difficulty recognizing the first photo Mike G
posted of the unusual flower of BATIK.

Chuck Chapman has posted in the past some very interesting data on how the
various plicata alleles work.

The "batik" broken color pattern is closely tied to, if not actually part
of, the plicata allelic series.  BATIK and others like it are notoriously
variable, never having two flowers alike.  As noted in both Mike
Greenfield's posts and those of Anita Moran and Dave Ferguson, the variety
has been observed to have sections or wedges of solid color, all white,
plicata and bc patterns.  All these are wedges that illustrate parts of the
allelic series in plicata.

The "solid" variant that gave rise to your reaction appears to be, or to
approach, the pattern of "zonal."  That, too, is closely allied with the
plicata allelic series, but just how hasn't been determined as yet to the
best of my knowledge.

When dealing with broken color, zonal or plicata irises (including
glaciatas, luminatas and luminata-plicatas) is is very difficult to say "is"
or "is not" to the identity of any of them from single flowers alone.

It was apparent to me that from the comment posted with the photo of the
BATIK, with both abnormal petal arrangement and count, *and* abnormal color,
the intent of the author was to express amazement at the range of
variability of the variety.  You were quite right in saying no, it doesn't
look like BATIK.  That was the point of the post.  The question mark,
followed by "Yep!!!" made that apparent to me.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links