PHOTO: Seedling [98-1540]

  • Subject: [iris-photos] PHOTO: Seedling [98-1540]
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:34:26 -0400

You have it, Bob!

That little "sailing boat sail" at the end of the beard is a feature for
which we've settled on a descriptive term of "BSE" for "Beard Spine

By "we" I'm referring to the group behind the multi-year, multi-generation
SAGE project--Space Age Genetics Endeavor (or Enterprise, End-Game, Effort,
or any one of many other terms descriptive of the intentions).  Crosses are
being made this year with the hope that numbers and counts can be found that
are sufficient to fit some specific possible explanations of why some iris
are and others are not "SA" irises.

The reason this little flag is taken so seriously is that it is the same
structure noted in ADVANCE GUARD that alerted Austin to the possibility of
what he later described as the "Space Age" irises.  The structure appears to
signal that the SA genetic package is present and minimally expressed.
Hopefully two or three years from now we will have a better substantiated
understanding of these highly variable phenomena.

This is a beautiful seedling.  I hope you do decide to introduce it.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains