HIS: Joseph's Coat ?????

  • Subject: [iris-photos] HIS: Joseph's Coat ?????
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:56:24 -0400

Anita, there is a thorough and authoritative discussion of the sports of
HONORABILE by Jean Witt on the HIPS website,

 http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/ROOTS_Articles/Honorabile.html

In the article, originally published in ROOTS in 1990, there is a systematic
and very clear differentiation of the various sports, including both
KALAIDOSCOPE and JOSEPH'S COAT KATKAMIER, often confused with Kalaidoscope
by people who should know better, including myself.  I found it necessary to
print a correction in TALL TALK to an article I had written about "Sports,"
in which I followed the Alphabetical Check List, 1939, in describing the
latter as a synonym of the former.

Subsequently I got a note from a grower of both varieties calling my
attention to the existence of two, distinctly different cultivars
circulating.  I found that quite puzzling, and it was not until I reread
Jean Witt's article and noted the registration of Joseph's Coat Katkamier
published in the Check List 1989 by Tankesley-Clark on behalf of A.
Katkamier making "Joseph's Coat Katkamier" a registered name in its own
right.

The description in the 1989 CL reads, "S. ivory, irregularly marked yellow;
F. purple lines radiating from hafts and beard to solid blade, irregular
yellow overlay, giving white, yellow and purple effect; yellow beard."

In Joseph's Coat, it is the yellow that is broken color in either or both of
two doses, and in Kalaidoscope it is the purple that is broken and varies.
In Sherwin-Wright, the anthocyanin is absent entirely.  In all other
respects, the plants are pure HONORABILE.  There are numerous other sports,
and it has been noted that both KAL... and JOS... are particularly prone to
sporting themselves.

I hope that something from this bit of historical fun (or triviality,
depending on one's interest) will help you sort out whether you have either
Kalaidoscope, Joseph's Coat Katkamier. or, not impossibly, a sport in the
HONORABILE family distinct from either.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4, western NC mountains