Re: diploids: I have a stupid question....

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: diploids: I have a stupid question....
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 06:18:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Anna,
That's not a stupid question at all!

Just like in daylilies there are tetraploids and
diploids. And just like in daylilies, interbreeding
between the two is difficult, although not impossible.

Almost all of the fancy modern Tall Beardeds are
tetraploids. So are most modern Border Beardeds. Some
of the newer Miniature Tall Beardeds (especially those
bred from Iris aphylla) are tetraploid.

Diploids are more commonly found among the older
"Miniature Tall Beardeds" and new MTB's bred from
those older ones. Diploids are also found among really
old historics and quite a few of the bearded species
irises (for example: pallida, variegata, suaveolens).

Some people feel that the book is closed as far as
diploid iris breeding goes -- and that tetraploids are
where all the potential is. I've been posting quite a
few pictures of diploid species, historics and my own
seedlings lately -- to try to show the diversity that
already exists. And to hint at the potential that is
waiting there to be discovered. I hope I've at least
gotten a few nibbles, if not hooked anyone yet.

Do You Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links