CULT: red amoena

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] CULT: red amoena
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 11:08:07 -0400

Here's a first-time blooming red amoena.  The cross is AURA LIGHT x ROMANTIC EVENING, and a red amoena was what I was aiming for.  There are also two red amoena siblings, neither as good as this one.

The photo was taken by a friend with his digital camera after the light meter on my SLR went south.  (Strap came unfastened and camera hit the pavement.  I was sure the meter was zapped, and development of the film confirmed it.)  It brings up the subject of digital photography.   With my SLR, this flower would stand out from the background, and the rich velvet texture of the falls would not be semi-washed out, as is the case here.  One hopes that there is a way to take such photos with a digital camera, but I couldn't afford to spend the time to learn at the height of the bloom season, so have bought a cheap SLR to replace the dropped one.

The stand-out effect results, I believe, from my use of a slow exposure  -- usually 60 or 125, even if the day permits faster -- which I prefer because it brings out the color.  Do any of you digital users have advice on how to get the same effect?  (I'll start shopping after bloom season is over.)  --  Griff

zone 7 in Virginia

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image