ROSEMOHR's growing family

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] ROSEMOHR's growing family
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 11:23:56 -0500

I was browsing some iris site and saw where Ben Hager said "cross beautiful
with beautiful" and someone else said cross "what you like with something
else you like" (both paraphrased from memory and I can't remember what
webpage).  This has been the most fun to grow of my crosses.  Not the best
end results, but the most interesting.  I guess I didn't follow the sound
advice above either.  I don't much care for ROSEMOHR.  ESTHER, THE QUEEN is
nice, but old R shows her age and, for all that I like a great many old
historics,  R just doesn't do much for me.  I do find her ancestry
interesting so I followed through with the cross.  There really is a lot to
be said for the resulting seedlings, though.  They are more appealing than
Mom - to a one.  They have all had two branches and up to seven buds except
for the fleshy pinkish one, and that's not bad for an arilbred.  They
produce pollen.  I have seedlings up this year from pollen on the middle top
row with FRIENDSHIP.  I had a pod with seeds from the same one but no
germination.  I have a pod on the bottom row right (hopefully won't be a
balloon).  The best plant overall so far is the middle bottom.  No snaking
and the tightest bloom of the bunch.  Just looked good growing.  Time will
tell if they will lead to anything, but the branching is worth working with
to find out.  All in all, just a lot of fun.  The family should continue to
grow for a while.  There are still siblings that haven't bloomed.  Tough
conditions and some neglect while they were little tykes probably has
delayed seeing more.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links