  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos]HYB:1709-1re
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 13:55:41 EDT

Copied for iris photos:
This year has been interesting so far.  As the title says, with mixed blessings.  The season is something like two weeks EARLY in my garden.  Which means I'll have nothing left for the show.  But that's okay by me cause I'm more into the pollen daubing anyway.
Early hot weather meant that some of the irises grew to fast and too tall.  When the winds hit . . . they never let up really, many stalks hit the ground.
Some of my best rebloom crosses have plastic like substance and good form!   Some of those same seedlings grew too short!   One parent rebloomed like mad last fall, but seems to be having a height problem.  Like I said . . . mixed blessings!
1620-02, my bitone ruffled blue from last year . . . (love of my life) now has a wide light band on the falls!  But the hard rains shredded the bloom!
1922-1 is a bee pod from 1026-1re, a pretty Jessie's Song x Earl of Essex seeding that grew too short until I moved out here.  Only reason I planted the seed was because it was a slow year!  I was thrilled to see a couple of nice strong seedlings.  One stalk grew almost 4 ft tall with perfect branching!  Cool!  Then the buds started to show.  It's red!  How can that be/bee?  A check of the garden map shows red irises all around it.  It could be from any one of about 6 different reds . . . all rebloomers.  It's open today.  Red with haft lines.  AND?  nice round falls.  A bit beat up by the rains, but nice.
Many seedlings that were ho-hum last year are looking better this year.  Some are a lot bigger blooms too.  Here is 1709-1re.  It has some of the tallest foliage in the garden.  It's from Summer Radiance X Visiting Royalty.
If you don't cross them, you can't  plant them!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives