well, hail!

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] well, hail!
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 09:03:38 -0500

A splinted pod stem.  The lush green on the ground is on the driveway and
should be in the oak trees.  What a mess.  Of 16 pods this year, only one is
still on the stalk and undamaged.  This one is broken, but was still hanging
so I'm trying the splint to see if it will last.  The rest were knocked off
and some battered open.  I've collected them and will let them dry and see
if any may have reached enough maturity to try and plant.  Doubtful.  About
all that was still in bloom were the spurias and, of course, they are
flattened and shredded along with every other iris.  Unbelievably only two
of the little seedlings I've lined out were completely destroyed.  I can't
find one at all and the other had the tiny rhizome knocked in half.  They
are severely battered so time will tell which ones will survive to grow.
There were some still in pots under the roof overhang.  They didn't fare any
better.  This completes the bad things that have happened.  Drought, fire
hazard, late freezes, excessive windy conditions even for us.  All that hail
and really not much rain to go with it.  It'll be weeks before I can get the
damage and leaves cleared out of the iris beds.  Great cover for the

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

You can search right from your browser? It¿s easy and it¿s free.  See how.

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image