Re: RE: Wisconsin Bloom

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE: Wisconsin Bloom
  • From: "Kent Appleberry" appleb@cut.net
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:48:39 -0000

Char, that's exciting about all the bloomstalks.  You seem to be just a few
days ahead of me in terms of first bloom, but I don't expect too much this
season, since almost all mine are first or second year plants.

I'd love to see a photo.  If your version of Photoshop is recent, then in the
File menu, where you find the Save function, there's also a Save for Web
function, which is very helpful.  If your version is older, you can still
downsize a fair amount.  Maybe someone else already explained all this, in
which case my apologies.

First, use Image Size (in the Image menu) to resize your photo.  You can get a
fairly decent quality at 50 K for a photo as large as, say, 600 x 400
pixels--just pick a size by entering a Pixel Size figure in one of the boxes
(width or heighth) in the Image Size window.  (If you don't see "pixels" but
only "percent," you need to click on the one of the little triangles just to
the right of "percent" and select "pixels.")  When you enter a pixel number in
one box, the figure in the other box should be adjusted automatically to keep
the proportions of height to width the same as in your original photo.  (If
that doesn't happen, look at the bottom of the Image Size window and click the
check box for Constrain Proportions.  Then try again.)  When you've got the
size the way you want it, click OK.  The photo will get smaller on screen, so
you may want to zoom in some to see it better (you can do that in the View

For the best results, you should sharpen your photo a little after you resize
the pixels, before you save it.  I prefer Smart Sharpen (new) or Unsharp Mask
(both under Filter>Sharpen), but there are various ways to sharpen.  (I like
to use a small Radius setting, maybe 0.3 to 0.5, with a high amount, maybe 100
to 200%--you have to look at the preview results to decide what you like.)

With the photo the size you want, click on Save for Web, if you have it, or
just Save As, if you don't.  With Save for the Web, you may have to wait a
moment the first time as Photoshop opens up the Image Ready program.  It will
show your photo and give you a menu to adjust the file size in various ways,
but mainly by fooling with the quality.  Make sure the file type to save to is
JPEG (you might see GIF or something listed instead--click on on of the little
triangles to the right of the file type to select JPEG).  Adjust the number in
the Quality box and see how it affects the photo.  You can see how big the
file will be by looking under the photo, on the left (xx.xK).  Pick a
combination of qua;lity and file size that suits you and click save--that
should give you a menu to name the new file and save it.

If you don't have Save for Web, use Save As, make sure JPEG is selected for
Format, click Save, and you'll get a JPEF Options window.  Try saving at
medium quality and see how big your file turns out afterwards.  You might have
to resize the pixels a little smaller this way.

Might take a little fooling around to get used to the process, but it's fairly
straightforward once you do it a time or two.  Or three.  Good luck with that,
and the blooms.

Sanpete County, Utah, zone 4/5, about 6,000 feet up
A few first-year SDBs blooming, a few stalks on others

Char Holte <cholte@wi.rr.com> said:

> Hi,
> I have the best bloom on the way ever.  Most
> clumps, IB and larger, if they have a stalk they
> have ten or more already and the SDB's have only
> been blooming a little over a week.  Many of the
> IB's are ready to bloom.  Iris that have never
> bloomed here for me are in stalk.  I am so
> excited.
> We expect a serious storm off Lake Michigan today
> with 45 mile an hour winds.  My yard may look like
> the one with all the oak leaves that were down by
> this time tomorrow.
> I would like to send a picture but I can not
> figure out how to decrease the bites and still
> have a picture worth sending.  I am using
> Photoshop.
> Char
> New Berlin WI

Yahoo! Groups Links