Lookie-here, a $300 iris (I. perrieri)

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Lookie-here, a $300 iris (I. perrieri)
  • From: RAYMOND IVES rives@rogers.com
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 09:58:56 -0400 (EDT)

No kidding.

I've spent 14 years and about $300 in orders and in joining seed exchanges to get to this point.  The plant comes from Jimmie Clark (in 2000!).  Maiden bloom after five years and three transplants.

I. perrieri is a diploid version of I. aphylla.  Its branching is what I was looking for when I first started up with this.

So... the first bloom opens in the middle of the heaviest rainstorm we've had this year.  If you wish to see the unsupported bloom, it is to the right of the previous image (Cerise Boy).

I don't think it will improve as a bloom, but I am tempted to try to convert it to strengthen the stem.

NOTE to conservationists:  I do not intend to get rid of the plant or to do nasty things to contaminate the species or any of those actions that send species people into horrifying nightmares.  So relax.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

image/pjpeg