Re: TB: Really Old White NOID

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: Really Old White NOID
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 04:37:41 -0700 (PDT)

Not absolutely positive, but looks like 'Polar King'
to me.
Dave [Ferguson]

Greetings Thomas,

You said that your dad's great-grandmother had given
it to him?  That would me that your great grandmother
must have grown it since the mid 1800s.  There aren't
that many irises from around that period, especially
white ones.  Its form suggest something from the 1930s
perhaps.  The one possibility I can think of right now
would be GUDRUN, but the the falls on GUDRUN are more
rounded than yours.  Another possibility might be
ARGENTINA, by W. Mohr, 1923, but the yellow hafts on
ARGENTINA are much more of a vibrant yellow than
yours.  I'll have to search my old catalog books.

Carlos [Ayento]

Hello guys,
Thanks for your responses. I've located pictures of
POLAR KING and GUDRUN for comparison. I see a lot of
similarities to my white NOID, but I'm not sure if
either is the same -- it's so hard to tell by
pictures. I haven't been able to find a picture of
ARGENTINA. And it was my the great grandmother of my
uncle (by marriage) who passed it on to his mother and
then to him. My uncle is probably around 70 years old,
and he told me that HIS great-grandmother grew it (no
relation to me). The great-grandmother could have
bought and grown it very late in her life. And then
passed it on to her granddaughter (my uncle's mother).
I'm not very good at figuring how many years are
involved in all those generations, but I'd guess that
would make it at least 50 years old. It definitely
looks like a tetraploid which might help some in
dating it. I think Carlos and Dave are probably on the
right track thinking of something from the 1930's.
It DOES have a very sweet scent (which POLAR KING is
supposed to have) but it seems like it has more color
at the haft and around the beards (on the falls).
Maybe it's just a difference caused by growing
conditions -- it's growing in a fairly shady bed.

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM