Re: dumped animals

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] dumped animals
  • From: "Kent Appleberry" appleb@cut.net
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 18:20:41 -0000

Some useless commiseration here.  My garden has evolved over the years under
Darwinian pressures formed mostly by climate and deer.  Plants that need much
water are gone, and plants that deer like are here only in limited numbers, at
their own risk.  I get to see about half my tulips bloom each year.  No more
lettuce or cabbage or other foods deer eat.  I do have a few tree seedlings,
but I have to keep then in wire cages until they're several feet tall.  One
reason I turned to irises as a major part of the garden was that deer leave
them alone, though they have killed a few by stepping on them.  I used to
chase them away, but now I usually don't bother.  They're just part of the
garden.  Their population is controlled somewhat by the deer hunt, and the
highway in front of my house.

I have deer come within ten feet or so, but never had one follow me around.

Kent
Sanpete County, Utah, zone 4/5
about midway through the bloom season, with a surprising number of first year
plants from very small rhizomes blooming, almost all on short stems

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM