In a message dated 5/27/2006 1:11:02 P.M. Central Standard Time,
<<So, it could be our beloved irises!!?>>
I'm adversely affected by heavy scents. Learned years ago to be wary
of heavy perfumes and the like! So, I wasn't surprised when the scents
from the irises started choking me.
Griff, all of the incidences were I lost my voice were at Alvaton where I
grew over an acre of irises. It's true that I had a variety of trees also,
but alas, it always was the worst in the middle of the iris beds! I would
stay as long as I could, and then hurry back into the house for
Looking back, I figured there was another contributing factor. There
were occasions when I actually ingested iris pollen. When my children were
young, I kept a list of plants that were reportedly poison for children.
Iris were on the list. The fans were reported to contain some chemical
that induces swelling of the throat . . . it wasn't a far stretch for me to
include the pollen!
More recently, I've seen newer reports that say this is not true . . . but
I'm not going to test it. <vbg>