Re: Re:1709-1re

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re:1709-1re
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 07:02:02 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/2006 5:15:38 A.M. Central Standard Time, lmann@volfirst.net writes:
<<I really do like this one Betty.  Have you grown it long enough and has
it done well enough to make the cut for introduction?>>
This one caused quite a stir when the local Master Gardeners group was visiting. They really took to the whole idea of making crosses and enjoyed the seedlings.   LOVE LINES and this seedling were their two favorites!  They wanted to know what I'd named it.  As I told them, I'd just decided to introduce it that morning!
In the one cross I'm growing from it, it gave extremely strong plants.  Was able to get a take with the pollen on HONEY HOUSE so I know it's fertile both ways.  But HH had VERY poor branching here.  Anyone else notice this trait??  Also, TUSCAN VILLA, which I'd wait years to see bloom, was very late and had one tall stalk with one branch in the top.  Three huge and beautiful blooms.  Absolutely gorgeous!  Guess I got my answer as to why Barry didn't use them much in breeding!!!
1709-1re . . . cross was made in 2002, planted in 2003.  Has bloomed each year since.  Gets prettier each year.  Originally I saved it because I found it blooming at Jim's about a month after everything else was done.  Didn't look all that pretty at the time.  Just another ho hum yellow.  Each year it gets better!  Can't wait to see it next year.  Hope to see some of the second generation this fall.  Crossed one of my reblooming red lines onto it.  With the orange from HINDENBERG starting to kick in with the children of SR the possibilities are almost endless.  Siblings show the tangerine factor.
If you don't cross them, you can't  plant them!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives