Re: Made my first cross today!

  • Subject: Re: Made my first cross today!
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 07:55:31 EDT

In a message dated 5/2/2007 3:02:02 P.M. Central Daylight Time, brimmsplace@yahoo.com writes:
<<When you  pollinate, you must strip the girl before you intend any other thing...
You tear of the standards and the falls, so no bee will ever be interested anymore and your daubing is safe!>>

Billy,

Just be careful when you strip the plant this early.  The parts are brittle and break easily.  I don't remove the standards and falls, but I rarely get anything that looks like it doesn't 'fit' the general seed population.  The big bumbys are a potential danger but also the little crawly things.

It's important to strip the entire stalk once the pods have been set for awhile.   It's easy to knock out a tiny pod if you do it too early.  Strip off all the leaves and spath material.  They hold moisture and encourage rot.   You want a nude stalk with pods.  I've found it beneficial to stake the pod parents.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives
iris-talk archives