Re: curiouser and curiouser

  • Subject: Re: curiouser and curiouser
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 02:09:48 -0000

Elm,

I see you corrected my misspelling. Thanks.

> Like Francesca, I have seen daylilies do this

Yeah, I've had this on daylilies and other plants, but never before
on an iris. On those I've just snapped them off and planted them.
They grew roots and made a new plant.

> There are 4 possibilities I can
> see for you to try:
>
> 1.) Wait and see if one of those swellings at the bottom of the
bloomstalk
> puts out roots and looks like it is forming a rhizome and then cut
it and
> plant it.

A couple already are shaped like a rhizome, but not roots.

> 2.) Some plants can be reproduced by dusting a sideshoot with a
rooting
> stimulant powder and then wrapping damp sphagnum moss or damp peat
moss around
> that and then wrapping in a light plastic and tying or rubber-
banding the
> plastic and waiting until it forms roots.

I'm familiar with this. What about rot? Seems like it might set
them up for it.

> 3.) Dampening the joint there, then making a cut and dusting it
with
> rooting hormone powder and planting it.

I guess this would be similar to any cutting. I have some rooting
powder somewhere around here - if I can find it.

> 4.) Take one of those narrower "rubbery" plastic pots and, using
tin snips,
> cut a slit from the rim down to the bottom and then cut the bottom
of the
> pot out. You then have a "collar" which you can set around the
stalk and can
> then fill the pot with damp potting soil up over the joint and see
if the
> thing roots.

This sounds the easiest, but again rot would be the worry, wouldn't
you think?

> Other than that,

It occurred to me that I might pry out the main rhizome with roots
and then plant it laying on it's side so I could scoop soil over the
joint of the proliferations and hope they grow roots. Later I could
separate them from the stem if they didn't do it naturally.

It's a strange bit of business. At least half a dozen plants that
had the bloom stalks frozen before they emerged from the fan are
doing this. Weather related somehow, I'm sure. I blame everything
on the variable weather :). The frozen stalks were definitely caused
by the weather.

Donald

__._,_.___
Recent Activity