Re: curioser and curioser

  • Subject: Re: curioser and curioser
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 02:49:18 -0000

John,

> Search the iris@hort archives for "proliferations"

I did that. Not too many and back in 1999. Obviously what I'm
seeing is unusual. Since about 8 different clumps are showing
proliferations and some of those are doing it on multiple frozen out
stalks, I'm clearly seeing more proliferations than Dr. Zurbrigg saw
in all his many years of growing iris. But the posts indicate that
if I manage to treat them correctly, they can be turned into rhizomes
with roots and become normal plants. Bill Shear said it was
reasonable that proliferations could generate from the stem at leaf
junctures. That seems right on these and it would be the first leaf
above those around the rhizome. All the proliferations are about 2
inches above the mother rhizome. I guess they had enough protection
down in the fan that the freeze didn't kill them outright, so the
plants redirected the growth from what should have been a bloomstalk
and generated fans at the leaf juncture. Probably a one-of-a-kind
event here. The stage of growth when the freeze hit, just the right
amount of protection from the freeze and really good temps this
spring - the kind of temps that iris love, cool with sufficient
moisture, are a sequence I'm not likely to see again anytime soon.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

__._,_.___