Re: Re: HYB: New tectorum X bearded in full bloom

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: New tectorum X bearded in full bloom
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:08:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hello again Jan,
I live in zone 7 (changed from formerly zone6-ish) in
the humid mid-Atlantic coast region -- Maryland. We
usually get fairly regular rain. Iris tectorum does
very well here, but I'm not sure how it does in
hotter, drier areas. I have a vague memory of reading
somewhere that PALTEC does well in hotter, drier
places. It can be treated just like its bearded
parent. Actually, I've been wondering if my own hybrid
(FLYING DRAGON) might perform better somewhere else
(maybe hotter and drier), because then it might not
have to deal with borers. They don't seem to bother
PALTEC as much.
Your welcome for the pictures, and thank you for your
interest in these irises.
Take care, Tom

Jan Lauritzen wrote:

Thomas,

Those are very interesting. I don't remember ever
seeing anything like them. I guess they are not hot
So. Cal. type irises. What area are you in? Do you
get rain? We saw lots of beardless types in Oregon
that we would never see here.

Thank you for the pictures.

Jan in Chatsworth

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate