Re: Photo: last AB seedling from TSXWR

  • Subject: Re: Photo: last AB seedling from TSXWR
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 17:20:27 EDT

Francesca,

    I have always read that it takes 4 shots of the t factor to get to a tangerine beard.  Wilma Vallette, in her chapter on tangerine pinks, the last chapter in her book, says that both parents have to carry the t factor twice.  I'm going to spend some time looking back through my hybridizing notebook to see just what irises in my crosses might factor in.  When I dead-end at the CGWs, there is still a question.  What TBs did White use?  Did he use some of those old TBs that, along the way, were carriers of pink genes?  (Vallette does give us a list of possible original carriers for the pink genes, as does Warburton.)  Then I have to see what modern TBs might lie behind my crosses.  I'll let you know where all this leads.

    Vincent Christopherson of Texas has an article in the AIS bulletin of April 2007 (pages 43-49) on helping along iris seed germination; he calls the method "stratification."  Sharon McAllister has said the proper term is not "forced germination" but rather "enhancement".  I don't agree with her, as I don't feel like I'm "enhancing" the seed.  I'm hacking away at it and taking things off the seed, forcing it to germinate because it wasn't going to do it itself right now.  Besides, I borrowed the term from Sam Norris and the Tearingtons.

Elm

See what's free at AOL.com.

__._,_.___
Yahoo! News