Re: HYB: A variation on Iris tectorum

  • Subject: Re: HYB: A variation on Iris tectorum
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 04:39:05 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Margie.
I guess I would say that the soil here is a heavy
clay. And they do just fine here. But, I would think
that they'd be relatively tolerant of all kinds of
I think more people should try them out, they're
really not as finicky as they might look.
I think they've won my sister over -- she's always
been a "just-Tall Beardeds" kind of iris lover. But
about two Decembers back, I planted a bunch of
tectorum(from the house we were moving out of), in her
front flower bed. It's much too shady there for Tall
Beardeds anyway. And she was recovering from surgery,
so couldn't put up too much resistance ;0)
Last week she sounded awfully enthusiastic about those
"now what are those again" irises. She says they're
doing great. I'm gonna be digging a piece for Jan, and
probably will have another piece I can send you too.
Just e-mail me your mailing address, offlist, if your
And if anybody else wants to try tectorum out, Iris
City Gardens has the typical blue/purple, the white, a
variegated leaf one and one called Woolong -- all of
these are just $8 each. Or if you don't mind waiting,
I'll probably be disposing of a bunch of seedlings to
make room for more, in a year or two.

__________________________________________________________Ready for the edge of your seat?

Yahoo! News

Sexual Health