RE: HYB: Favorite seedling

  • Subject: RE: HYB: Favorite seedling
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:00:54 -0700

That heavily ruffled orchid seedling resulted from putting pollen from Louisa’s Song onto a seedling of  mine that had nothing going for it but vigorous growth and bright orchid color.  It got some of the best of both parents, for a change, but it had poor branching and bud count.  I tried to cross it without success.  This was a bad year for crosses on just about everything.  I’ll keep it and try again next year.  Of the pods I did get, I am most excited by Rachel Julia X Louisa’s Song.  RJ has Conjuration’s stalks and bud count, and RJ seedlings that bloomed this year inherited that too.  Crossed with Act of Kindness most were too yellow for me.  I did keep a couple of yellow/lavender bicolors from it.  I can’t help dreaming of RJ’s stalks and colors with Louisa’s Songs’ size and ruffles.  That’s what keeps us going; isn’t it?

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9