Re: CultPhoto: Snake in April in N. AZ

  • Subject: Re: CultPhoto: Snake in April in N. AZ
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 20:01:36 -0000

Linda,

I think it will prove to be some kind of garter snake. There are a lot
of different ones around. It looks similar to one here in Texas, but
the one here has a more pronounced orange stripe down the back. There
is another here that is checkered - very checkered - without the
stripe. Harmless and beneficial, but in the cobra family. I suspect
there is a lot of variation in appearance even among the same species,
so it may be hard to find an exact match for the one in your photo.
Nice photo!

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA