Re: HYB: assorted seedlings

  • Subject: Re: HYB: assorted seedlings
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 22:27:34 -0500

Mike  --  The aisles in that seedling plot are flooded and I didn't have boots with me when I got there, so I couldn't get to it.  But, according to the garden map, it must be one of several plicatas from the seed lot 06S.  This is a pleasant surprise, since it means that, after many years of trying, I've finally gotten some nice seedlings from 93R6.  The cross is G954K14:(93B8:(Trudy x Wabash) x Sweeter Than Wine) X 93R6:((Wabash x Crossman yellow seedling) x Stepping Out).  As you can see, these are all old varieties.  In making the cross, I wanted to bring 93R6, which is a tall, well-branched, but wide-spreading plicata into more compact form.  G954K14 has that kind of form.  I wasn't expecting such a pretty blossom.  When the water goes down, I'll have to get a closer look at the stalk.  Meantime, I'm attaching pics of the parents.  --  Griff