photo: RH: another very successful seedling from I. stolonifera (goal reached)

  • Subject: photo: RH: another very successful seedling from I. stolonifera (goal reached)
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 01:36:53 EDT

I have good luck raising regelia irises in a raised bed (they soon become "weeds" here), so that is why I work with hybridizing them.  My goal has been to keep interbreeding different variants in color of I. stolonifera.  I was able to do this because plant collectors have been able to go into remote areas of eastern Europe and the near East to find new colonies.  They then start increasing the rhizome collected.  I have wanted to breed out the purple/violet/magenta tones that are dominant in stolonifera.  Pictured below is my seedling from these intercrosses.  It has rich deep coloring.  Following that is a picture of the coloring of the common stolonifera that most of us have known for years so here you can compare what I have been able to achieve. Note how the standards of my seedling are almost a self color of rich reddish chocolate.  There are lavender beards inside the standards, slightly visible inside the middle of the left standard.
My seedling:
I. stolonifera Maxim: