photo: natural color variant of I. stolonifera from Sina Heights in Uzbekistan

  • Subject: photo: natural color variant of I. stolonifera from Sina Heights in Uzbekistan
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 02:12:01 EDT

Janis Ruksans of Latvia who, with a friend, collected this clone in Uzbekistan has given it a garden name of "Morning Coffee" because he says that name struck him when he viewed the iris while holding a cup of coffee in his hand.  (One has to think of dark black coffee with rich cream added.)  This has another different coloring than the common stolonifera possesses.  In bright sunlight, the flower is lighter toned.

Elm