Re: Areas of Country for growing Iris

  • Subject: Re: Areas of Country for growing Iris
  • From: Pearl Doyle <pdoyle@our-town.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 10:58:57 -0500

You are right. I live in a region that gets below freezing only 2-3 times a year and seldom into single digits (Fahrenheit). Most winter nights hover at freezing but the day temperatures get quite warm. I now have over 300 varieties and most of them bloomed this year. In warmer climates I think the amount of sunshine makes a difference. Most of my beds have at least a few hours of shade, a lot have too much.

Robt R Pries wrote:

I believe it is somewhat of a myth that you need a
cold season for TB Irises. Many of the early
tetraploid TBs were hard to grow for people in cold
climates because they were said to be not very cold
hardy. It seems there are always explanations of why
Iris didn't grow for someone. It is often very hard to
sort out whether a certain climate is the cause or
some other factor. There are TB Irises that probably
require a certain length of cool weather just as
tulips need cool conditions to produce the hormones
that cause stem elongation. But until varieties are
tried in a certain area one should not dismiss the
possibility. Generalizations almost always have
exceptions. If I were trying to grow TBs in a warm
climate I would look to the reblooming Irises to find
cultivars that would do well.

--- tmilchh@aol.com wrote:

Hi,
?? I believe you must have a cold season to grow? TB
irises.
Annette in Kentucky