Re: photo: Stolonifera variants

  • Subject: Re: photo: Stolonifera variants
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 10:58:11 -0700 (PDT)

Elm;

These stolonifera variants should all have registered
cultivar names. I believe that Janis could register
these for free through the British Iris Society
registrar who works as an overseeas aid to Mike Lowe.
The problem is getting a suitable description written.
As I have lectured many times registration is
important to let the Iris world know that this
diversity exists and for growers to keep track of the
origins of these plants. I have tried for many years
to record these plants mentioned in catalogs in the
SIGNA checklist. But I am growing tired of having to
do this when the people growing them are not
registering. Knowledge is of less value if it is not
recorded properly. Each generation has to learn again
starting from scratch. Perhaps I am just worn out from
packing and the fact that I don't presently have the
time to do any of this work myself. Just a grumbling
old man who no one listens to--Bob Pries