Re: Areas of Country for growing Iris

  • Subject: Re: Areas of Country for growing Iris
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 18:58:03 -0400

There is another possibility her, having to do with the interaction of
daylight hours and climate
warmth. Both of which have to work together for a plant to be
successful. I suspect that SDB should be able to be successful
anywhere TBs are sucessfull. I suspect the secret is to supliment the
light at the time it is warm enough for the plants to start growing
well.

Anyone who wishes to try an experiment with this can contact me. The
plan is to send out 2 each of 10 cultivars of SDB. Twenty plants each,
to anyone willing to try this experiment. One of each of the 10 plants
to receive suplimental light, one each of the ten plants to grow in
natural daylight. Evaluate over two years. The mix of plants will
include daylight neutral and cyclic rebloomers . All I ask is for the
participamnts to pay for the shipping. That would be $10.00 per
package,. Plants are yours to keep at the end of the experiment.

I would expect rebloomers to do better then oncers in warmer climates..

Chuck Chapman

Re: Areas of Country for growing Iris

Posted by: "Robt R Pries"
rpries@sbcglobal.net

robtrpries

Sun May 18, 2008 8:49 am (PDT)

Most Iris pumila comes from rather cold climates and

most require a cold season to bloom although they will

grow in a warmer area. There is no reason to be

adamant that cold is required for all Iris pumila

since relatively few have been in cultivation and it

is possible that some may not require the cold trigger

for flowering. It is likely that it would take a lot

of experimentation to find a pumila that does not need

this. Many hybrids are available that have erroneously

been called pumila. some of the reblooming hybrids

such as 'Baby Blessed' may not need cold to stimulate

bloom. The Iris lutescens (chameiris) may have clones

that don't require cold to bloom. Our knowledge of

many of these plants is still too scant to make

sweeping generalizations as hard rules. Ben Hager had

developed pumila clones that would bloom in his

moderate climate of Stockton California. He used these

for breeding. He said that it was possible to find

plants that would be adapted to any climate if you

just grew enough seed. I had been trying to get him to

register his warm climate pumilas and I think he was

agreeable to the idea shortly before he died. Bob (

am moving to NC from MO in two weeks.