From: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com [mailto:iris-photos@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Donald Eaves
Sent: Sunday, 25 May 2008 3:09 AM
To: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [iris-photos] SP: MISSOURI SPRINGS

This spuria intro'd by Niswonger is the end of iris bloom here. When it's
gone, I'll be waiting for the next season, so all that's left are the photos
posted here. I don't comment often, but I view everything that's posted and
I'm enjoying them all. So Mike G., Loic, Adam et al, keep them coming.
Makes me want to try again on some iris types that tend to not perform well
in my climate.

It was a different sort of year here this season. There were three distinct
types that bloomed without much overlap. The ABs came first, then the TBs
and last, the spurias. The few medians growing waited and bloomed with the
TBs, but the break between the other types was distinct and that doesn't
usually happen. Beepods aren't common here, but this was a good year for
them. Probably the best I've ever seen. Mostly TBs, but the first known
beepods on ABs also happened. One of those was JALLAB, an OGB- type AB.
That was a surprise. I thought it'd be a balloon, but the pod had three
seeds. AB pods have been maturing so another first was having some
lingering seeds still germinating even while I was gathering seeds. That's
a first! Many of my own pods might as well be beepods. Daubing was a hit
and run exercise this year. I have no clue what pollen parent was used on
some. I always think I can remember, but after an 8-10 hour workday that
bit of info is history all too often. So I guess I'll take what I have
without the knowledge.

Enjoying everyone's photos.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA