Re: CAN THEY CHANGE TO A DIPLOID

  • Subject: Re: CAN THEY CHANGE TO A DIPLOID
  • From: chad schroter <charlesschroter@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 18:06:14 -0700 (PDT)

Just as an aside, I have read articles that examined the use of herbicides like Surflan or Treflan to influence the ploidy of plants. The desired effect being conversion from diploid to tetraploid. Supposedly these treatments were safer than using colchicine - if less effective.
Here is a link to one:
http://members.tripod.com/~h_syriacus/tetraploidy.htm

I suppose the opposite transformation is also possible.

Are the 2 different stalks on connected rhizomes ?

Chad Schroter