Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:08:37 -0400

Here is a close up of a stygmatic lip of a seedling. Turquoise on red
stripes. Two of these seedlings have this. Many more to bloom from
this cross.

Chuck Chapman

Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?

Posted by: "thomas silvers"

Thu May 29, 2008 5:39 am (PDT)

Hi Sharon,

I see it! That's pretty cool!

I hope that I'm able to get that effect out onto the

falls of my diploid beardeds. Our sun (here in

Maryland) probably isn't as brutal as you get, but so

far, the color in the style midribs has been holding

strong, all the way until they wither.

And I've seen that banding effect (you mentioned in

other post) in the style arms of some irises. I

usually only see it when I've removed all the

standards and falls for pollinating, since most of

what I'm working with doesn't have open standards.

'Rosemary's Dream' is one that has pronounced bands.

Thanks and best wishes, Tom

JPEG image