Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 09:11:22 -0400

This phot was on an SDB seedling. Two more seedlings bloomed, one with
stripes, making 3 out of 4 so far.

I also have a siberian species seedling with lot of turquoise on style
arm. The only reason it was kept. Not in bloom yet this year.

I haave no idea of what is involved in this. But can still guess. It
seems to be located on style arm and stigmatic lip. You also get the
very strange yellows on these structures. What ever is involved in
producing this colour can be working with a light dosage of
anthocyanin to produce this colour, which could very well be a
combination of pigments giving a visual effect.

Also of note, the bearded plants that produce this seem to all have
blue pollen. Could you check pollen on plants that show turquoise to
check if they have blue pollen? I get a number of plants with dark
colours, burgundys usually, with yellow style arms. They all have blue

Chuck Chapman

Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?

Posted by: "donald"

Fri May 30, 2008 5:33 am (PDT)

That's what I see. Here it's always been on ABs, but Mary Lou has it

on TBs. This from a TB or median? The color has shown up in the

falls on two AB seedlings. Any idea what's at work to produce the

color? It didn't burn off on the falls.

Donald Eaves

Texas Zone 7b, USA

Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?

Posted by: "smciris@aol.com"

Fri May 30, 2008 6:37 am (PDT)

In a message dated 5/30/2008 6:09:25 AM Mountain Daylight Time,

irischapman@aim.com writes:

Here is a close up of a stygmatic lip of a seedling. Turquoise on red

stripes. Two of these seedlings have this. Many more to bloom from

this cross.

That's the pattern I have described as "eyelashes". I found it to be
a good

indicator that the color may show up elsewhere on the flower in future

Sharon McAllister