PHOTO: lovely arilbred seedling that was a lucky cross

  • Subject: PHOTO: lovely arilbred seedling that was a lucky cross
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 20:38:36 EDT

Hello everyone!
    Years ago I read that the late C. G. White (father of modern arilbreds) said that pinks and plicatas were,
he felt, compatible with arils and arilbreds.  I never got around to trying out that theory until a couple of years ago.  Now I am glad I gave it a try.  The seedling shown below is from a cross of an RC (regelia and oncocyclus hybrid) and a TB.  The parentage:  (Dardanus X Change of Pace).  Change of Pace is a Schreiner plicata with pink standards and white falls with a wide rose band.  I used the RC as the pod parent because one has a better chance of the seedling having aril characteristics.  I'm really proud of the outcome!  (I'll try to get a better photo when it is not raining.)