HYB: 05I1, a holdover [3 Attachments]

  • Subject: HYB: 05I1, a holdover [3 Attachments]
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:28:23 -0400

Should one hold onto pots of ungerminated seeds?  Here is 05I1, one of 55 seeds planted in 2000.  None germinated.  I held onto the pot, letting it sit out in the weather, because I had room in the seedling frame to do so, and I was particularly interested in the cross.  In 2005, a single sprout germinated.  I planted it out.  It didn't bloom until 2007.  When it did, it was a wine red amoena of border bearded height and flower size to match.  I felt it was overshadowed where it was planted, so moved it to full sun and plenty of elbow room.  It didn't bloom in 2008.  Yesterday, two stalks bloomed  --  one at 39 1/2 inches, the other at 35 1/2  --  they're situated about 12 feet apart.  Only 6 buds, but I ain't complainin'.  The cross:  Brazilian Holiday X 98G1:(Lady Friend x Chinese Treasure).  --  Griff

Griffin's Den