Re: Re: HYB: another umbrata

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: another umbrata
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 20:02:02 -0400

Brock  -- "Umbrata" is the description given to an iris having a darker patch, usually of the same color, in -- again usually -- the upper center of the falls.  It's from the Latin "umbra", meaning shadow.  I don't recall who started using it to describe this effect in irises  --  maybe Linda Mann?  --  but it seems appropriate to me.   --  Griff
Griffin's Den