Re; AB: using TEL AVIV pollen (COMMENTS on form)
  • Subject: Re; AB: using TEL AVIV pollen (COMMENTS on form)
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 16:41:21 EDT

    I see no problem with either of the 2 seedlings you have shown that have come from 'Tel Aviv'.  Both are lovely and graceful.  Yes, the second one pictured has somewhat open standards.  In my view, however, that is permissible because, sometimes, arilbreds have such wide standards that the standards have to move out around the stylecrests; otherwise, the standards would look too pinched and would twist.  Quoting 3 sentences about arilbreds from the American Iris Society's Handbook for Judges and Show Officials:  "Flower forms of these irises are very diverse and different from that of the tall bearded irises....Standards are usually rounded or broadly oval and may be domed and touching, overlapping slightly, or erect and open.  They may be tailored, gently waving, ruffled, or reflexed outward on the sides (flagging)." p. 123  I know that Lowell Baumunk had some input on this section of the judges' handbook.  I heard his presentation at one of our fall regional meetings, and I remember him stating that fact and stressing these points to judges in training as well as to judges.  Don't fault that seedling for having somewhat open standards.  Keep that seedling.  It is beautiful.  And don't be afraid to use it for breeding.  I have used arilbreds with the same characteristics, for that can be bred out.  However, I think that is a choice seedling.  (Apologies for lecturing you, my friend.)