HYB:TB:Sdg:Another experiment
  • Subject: HYB:TB:Sdg:Another experiment
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 14:26:28 -0400

I must admit to being entrigued by the iris 'Decadence,' as are many other breeders.  My first stalk rotted off at the ground just before the first bloom opened.  I put it in a vase and used the pollen.  This resulted in cross 2128, a dark purple reblooming seedling from 'Star Gate' crossed by 'Decadence.'  (made in 2006)
In the spring one seedling sprouted earlier than the rest and showed indication that it was stronger.  I've made a point of keeping track of this seedling.  This is the third year it's bloomed so this is not maiden bloom. I've known the color for awhile.  This year it has four stalks with show stalk branching and over 9 blooms.  It turns out it truly is the best of the brood!  (no rebloom)
For your enjoyment-or not!
Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Iris Garden
KY Zone 6